The first sign of Thanksgiving is here. Leaves falling? No. Turkey sales flyers? No. The first sign of Thanksgiving around Elmhurst is the Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot sign taking its place above the underpass at Robert Palmer Drive.
And when it’s time for the Dan Gibbons Turkey Troy, it’s also time for our updated 10 Fun Facts.
- The 5 kilometer (3.1 mile) course has changed a bit since Dan Gibbons used his car’s odometer to set the original course, which ended up being closer to 2.5miles, back in 1984.
- The number of participants has grown from 74 in 1984 to over 7500 in 2017.
- The race starts at the intersection of Adell Place and Park Avenue in Elmhurst at 9am on Thanksgiving Day, heading eastbound on Park Avenue. Registration opens at 6:30am.
- Lionel Montenegro of Chicago was the top male runner for the 2017 race, finishing with a time of 15:50.
- Kristen Lucchesi of Bolingbrook was the top female runner last year, finishing with a time of 19:40. The only local Elmhurst runner to finish in the top 3 in 2017 was Lauren Shannon with a time of 21:08.
- If designated parking areas (Elmhurst College main lot, Larch Avenue parking deck and marked residential parking) are full, trolley service is available.
- Sponsorship for the turkey trot did not start until it’s second year, when four companies sponsored the event. This year’s sponsor list includes many local businesses, including L.W. Reedy, Courts Plus, Riley’s, John Noldan of Guaranteed Rate, Daniel Law Office, and Doc’s Victory Pub.
- The main benefactors include Dupage Pads, United Community Concerns Association, People’s Resource Center, West Suburban Community Pantry, Loaves & Fishes, and Catholic Charities – Dupage County.
- It’s not too late to register. Register online today!
- As you hit the home stretch near our offices at 1st and Park, listen for local DJ James Mastrino, hired by L.W. Reedy to keep those trotters moving across the finish line. Join us for hot chocolate and coffee!
As a proud sponsor of the Annual Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot, we look forward to seeing all the runners, walkers, and supporters at the race, continuing this time-honored, well-loved Elmhurst Thanksgiving tradition.
Happy Thanksgiving from everyone at L.W. Reedy Real Estate!