Is a “SOLD” sign the only thing you really want this holiday season? If your house is on the market this winter, consider these tips for selling your home during the holiday season:
- Simplicity is not usually a part of decorating for the holidays, but if you’re selling during the holiday season, decluttering is a must. For every decorative item you put out for the holidays, remove and store away at least one other item. Less clutter makes your home look more spacious, and spacious sells.
- Be sure your decorations accentuate rather than hide important selling features like mantels and open staircases.
- Appeal to the senses. Use the fragrances of the holidays to warmly welcome potential buyers. Consider setting out cinnamon-scented pinecones or pine-scented greenery or greeting your guests with the aromas of apple cider or holiday cookies. Have soft holiday music playing in the background.
- If you typically decorate with a Christmas tree, carefully select the size of the tree to fit with the space and layout of your house. Don’t crowd the room and make it feel less spacious than it would be during other times of the year.
- Be sure your online listing has photos of the house when it’s not decorated for the holidays. Consider leaving printed photos out for potential buyers to see when they’re walking through the house.
- Curb appeal takes on an entirely different meaning during the winter holidays. This isn’t the year to take on the neighbors in a “who can put up the most lights” contest or to break out the inflatables. This is the year for some understated twinkle lights and a well-placed spotlight to help potential buyers see the home on dark winter evenings.
- If you’re selling a home in a colder climate like Elmhurst, be sure sidewalks, driveways and porches/patios are clear of snow and ice.
If you’re considering putting your home on the market this holiday season or some time in the new year, contact your L.W. Reedy agent today. With over 65 years in real estate, our agents can help you sell your home any time of the year. At L.W. Reedy, our commitment will move you.